- Gluten-Free Pizza Defined
- What Is Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Made Of?
- How Is Gluten-Free Pizza Made?
- Is Gluten-Free Pizza Keto-Friendly?
- Is Pizza Sauce Gluten-Free?
- Is Gluten-Free Pizza Healthy?
- Where to Order Gluten-Free Pizza
If you’ve recently ordered a delicious pizza or bought one from your local grocery store, you may have noticed several options for gluten-free pizzas. It’s a common phrase found on food in the grocery store, menus at restaurants and online recipes. However, not many people truly understand what makes up gluten, let alone gluten-free food. So, if you’re curious about gluten-free pizza or where you can find your next delicious pizza without gluten, we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we’ll discuss exactly what gluten-free pizza is, how it’s made, and whether it’s a healthier option you might want to choose the next time you crave a delicious pizza.
Gluten-Free Pizza Defined
Like the name suggests, gluten-free pizza is pizza made without gluten or any ingredients that contain gluten.
Gluten can be found in wheat, barley and rye, and as a result, it often finds its way into many of the foods we eat every day. Most people overlook gluten-free options, but for those with gluten sensitivity, this menu option is essential can usually change how they feel for the rest of the day.
Many people may choose a gluten-free diet if they have one of the following:
- Celiacs disease: Celiacs disease is an autoimmune disorder in which gluten triggers an immune system activity that can damage the lining of the small intestine.
- Gluten sensitivity: As the name suggests, gluten sensitivity is when someone is sensitive to gluten. Eating gluten could cause someone with gluten sensitivity to experience bloating or abdominal pain.
- Gluten ataxia: Gluten ataxia is an autoimmune disorder that affects nerve tissues contributing to muscle control problems.
- Wheat allergy: A wheat allergy can cause the immune system to think gluten is a virus or bacteria, and as a result, the immune system will attempt to get rid of it.
With the proper diet, people with gluten intolerances can still enjoy food of all varieties, including, you guessed it, pizza!
What Is Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Made Of?
One of the core ingredients of any pizza is the crust. Pizza crust is also one of the most common places to find gluten. Fortunately, gluten-free pizza crust can help you enjoy a delicious, fresh pizza without consuming any gluten.
Gluten-free pizza is made without wheat flour and is safe for gluten-free individuals to consume. Wheat flour will usually be swapped out for another gluten-safe alternative. Some ingredients found in gluten-free pizza crust can include almonds, rice, corn and beans. Gluten-free crusts can also contain potato or tapioca starch in replacement of wheat flour.
How Is Gluten-Free Pizza Made?
The hardest part of making pizza is getting the crust perfect. Making a gluten-free pizza crust is even more challenging.
Gluten-free pizza has a few extra steps involved. The standard way to make gluten-free pizza crust is by combining the flour with wet ingredients such as oil. Some recipes call to add yeast, which helps the dough to rise.
Gluten-free flours tend to absorb more, so these recipes will require more liquids. If you don’t add extra liquid, the crust will turn out stiff, flat and dry. Adding 130% liquid will help to make gluten-free pizza crust taste better and make it easier to shape. These gluten-free crusts also get baked before adding the toppings.
Is Gluten-Free Pizza Keto-Friendly?
Now that you know a little more about gluten-free pizza and how it’s made, you may be wondering if it’s keto-friendly. The short answer to this question is, unfortunately, no.
The goal of switching to a keto diet is to reduce carb consumption to spark ketosis in the body. Gluten-free pizza still has a large number of carbs.
When on a keto diet, one should take in more protein and healthy fats to counteract the lack of carbs in their diet. Gluten-free pizza has low levels of both, adding to the list of reasons why this dish does not make a good keto-friendly meal.
If you’re on a keto diet and still craving pizza, try looking for a veggie-based crust. These help to lower the number of carbs, making it a keto-friendly option.
Is Pizza Sauce Gluten-Free?
Another essential ingredient for a pizza is the sauce. The pizza sauce will also need to be gluten-free to ensure the pizza is safe to eat for those wishing to avoid gluten. Rest assured, pizza sauce is naturally gluten-free as it contains no wheat products. However, it may be a good idea to check the label of store-bought pizza sauce to ensure that cross-contamination is not possible and that there are no gluten additives in the sauce.
Is Gluten-Free Pizza Healthy?
With the growing trend of gluten-free diets, there’s one important question to answer. Is gluten-free pizza good for you?
There’s no scientific link between losing weight and a gluten-free diet, but there are still some benefits that gluten-free options have to offer.
- Improved energy levels: Gluten-free food is easier on your digestive system, which allows the nutrients in your body to be absorbed more efficiently into your bloodstream, providing you with more energy.
- Decreased bloating: Gluten can increase bloating in your body. As a result, removing gluten from your diet can help you prevent bloating in the future.
- Better Skin: Eating less gluten and processed food helps to reduce acne, red and inflamed skin. Gluten-free food can also help you with skin conditions such as eczema, hives and alopecia areata.
Overall, gluten-free food can help improve your health. This makes gluten-free pizza a healthier way to satisfy your pizza hunger cravings.
Where to Order Gluten-Free Pizza
Are you looking for a high-quality slice of gluten-free pizza in the Metro Detroit area? Order a pie from Green Lantern Pizza to find out what the best gluten-free pizza in the Metro-Detroit area tastes like. Green Lantern Pizza has been slicing each of its ingredients by hand and making fresh dough and sauce every morning since the early 1950s, which means we have pizza down to a science.
You’ll be able to taste the difference that using high-quality ingredients makes in every Green Lantern Pizza slice. Get the full traditional gluten-free pizza experience by ordering a pepperoni-topped pie and discovering why Green Lantern Pizza is known as the King of Pepperoni. For more toppings choices, explore the complete Green Lantern Pizza menu.
If you’re ready to discover what all the gluten-free pizza hype is about, find a Green Lantern Pizza location near you or place your order today. If you’re still curious about gluten-free pizza, contact Green Lantern Pizza and we’ll be happy to answer all your pizza-related questions.
Leave a Reply